- about us
- members services
- News & Policy
- policy issues
- Letters to the Editor
- First Nations In Forestry
- Truck LoggerBC - Magazine Archives
- Truck LoggerBC - Advertising
- TLA Events
THE TLA Forestry Education Fund
TLA Forestry Education Fund
If you have a forestry education program in need of funding, considering applying to the TLA Forestry Education Fund. This fund, generously founded and supported by TLA members, supports forestry education work in coastal British Columbia.
Here are some of examples of the kind projects we support:
- We've got two high school forestry programs off the ground and running in Port Alberni and Campbell River.
- We're helping renovate camp buildings at Loon Lake Lodge & Retreat Centre.
- We showcase logging in TLA member communities by sponsoring logger sports shows in Campbell River, Squamish and Port McNeill.
- We support over 15 annual forestry scholarships for students attending UBC, Vancouver Island University, BCIT, North Island College. We also have five trades scholarships available each year.
- We're a main funder behind the Festival of Forestry, a program that takes teachers into the forest and teaches them about how forestry is done in BC.
- We suport the BC Forest Discovery Centre every year. Founded the Gerry Wellburn, the museum's collections include over 5,000 artifacts ranging from operational steam locomotives to chainsaws. It's a regular field trip stop for students from Duncan and surrounding communities.
The TLA Forestry Education Fund is about an investment made on behalf of TLA members, employees, shareholders and families – to teachers, students and communities. Providing opportunities to stay on the coast is one of the highest priorities identified by local, regional and aboriginal governments. The TLA recognizes this priority and is working with other organizations to fulfill the need for coordinated resource education, training and transitioning so that there will be an industry in the long term.
Forestry will be a driver for our provincial economy for a long time. Our members’ contributions to the Forestry Education Fund go a long way to help deliver positive messages and programs.
Finally, the TLA would like to express its sincere gratitude to all the donors and bidders at the 2015 TLA Live and Silent Auctions. We raised over $90,000 for the TLA Forestry Education Fund and all the proceeds go to supporting our training and education programs.